In my opinion, many of my favorite films are underrated. I do have a skewed tasted in films but these are pretty amazing and I feel the need to share them with you.
1. Multiplicty – Michael Keaton is the man. I remember watching this movie as a kid and just loving it. It has a bit of a slow start but once the clones enter it gets better and better and better. It also shows how talented Keaton is by playing such different characters: the ordinary guy, the tough guy, the metrosexual, and the idiot. Four is my favorite. In fact, I think my favorite Michael Keaton performance ever is his performance of Four. This could be one of my favorites because it combines both my love of Michael Keaton and pizza, but I think it is more than that.
2. The Scream Franchise – I just watched Scream 4 the other night and it reignited my love of the Scream series. I don’t understand how people can knock it, it is just so clever and great. It has great jump out killer parts, great funny liners, great deaths, and great twists. Especially the end of the 4th, I remember seeing that in theatres and it was just…awesome. They really don’t make slasher films like this anymore and it’s a shame just because they’re so GREAT. I kind of hope they do a 5th just because.
3. Step Brothers – I know a lot of people that just don’t like Will Ferrell. I guess I can understand they don’t like his gross out humor or whatever or they like him but prefer Anchorman. I think Anchorman is a bit overrated, but I do think he is a comedic genius and just genuinely so talented and Step Brothers proves it. So many great one liners and at the end when he sings in Italian just tops it.
4. The Aviator – Yes, the movie is super duper long but I think if it was an hour shorter it would be one of the best movies of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance is jaw-dropping. The end, you just hurt for Howard. It’s one of those films that are driven by the performance and if Scorsese cast someone instead of Leo it probably would have sucked. Thank goodness he didn’t. Films like this make me yearn to be as great as Leo is as an actor.
5. Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls – I saved the best for last. I am confident to say this is my favorite movie of all time. I know the plot is mediocre and it is quite silly but I don’t know I just love it SO much. As a child, Jim Carrey was my hero. I was obsessed with this movie. I even bought the Scholastic book. It may be silly but Jim Carrey is one of the greatest, if not the greatest physical comedians ever and this move proves it. I don’t know why I prefer this one to the first, maybe it’s the location, but I feel like the jokes hit better for me. I still quote the movie to this day and was even Ace for Halloween one year. Ace Ventura in general is one of the greatest, most original characters in movie history. He’s kookie, he doesn’t make much sense, but he is AWESOME.
Well there are my top 5 how about yours?